Monday, July 03, 2006

Ronda!

Hey all! This is my beautiful little town of Ronda. Most of these pictures are from a hike I took, trying to get to some waterfalls below the bridge. I didn't make it to the waterfalls but I did find what I think is the cities old (or maybe still in use) drainage system. It was really cool. The water was rushing through stone canals/tunnels. I found some ruins too that had holes in the floor and water was gushing through below. It was kind of scary because there were lots of places to fall in!
Ronda is built on a cliff and the brdge is called the Puento Nuevo or "new bridge" so called new because it was built after the old bridge even though that was in the 18th century! From the bridge and the nearby path that basically goes around half the town you can see the all the mountains that completely surround Ronda. Its ssoo beautiful. I actually think it is a national park on one side. I hope during the month I will be able to get out to it at least once!

I tried to take pictures of all the wildflowers, so you all can help me identify them since I have yet to find a spanish flower book!












Things are going great here. Today was my first day at the university. I had to take an exam at 9AM to show how good (or bad in my case!) I am at spanish! I have about 40 more minutes of break and then we will have orientation or something. Hopefully before that I can find something to eat. It seems like I am always hungry here because these crazy Spaniards can somehow survive on one full meal per day, and I have not quite figured out where the normally priced normal food is at. So far the only options I have discovered are the crazy expensive gourmet restaurants or the cafe's which only serve desserts. I suppose I will get it eventually.
I am hoping to make it to the pool today also. Its ssoo hot here. Very similar to KS actually, except that it gets pretty nice in the morning and in the evening. The afternoon is siesta time when all the spaniards go inside to rest and get away from the heat. I was told that during siesta is the worst time for thievery (worse than at night!) because all the pickpocketers know that the only people on the street are tourists. Weird huh?!
Anyway, I hope everyone is doing great. So sorry to hear about your car, Katie and Sandy. I hope it works out ok!
Miss you all!
Love Willow

1 comment:

Papa said...

Wow! Thanks for the picture Willow! That looks so pretty. I think I like the idea of everyone taking a siesta! Hmmmm, maybe it is time for a nap in Kansas!