Friday, June 30, 2006

News fron España

Hey everyone! Sorry it´s been so long. My ability to access the internet has somewhat lessened recently! Also I havn´t found a computer with skype yet...sigh..
So, lets just say my arrival in Spain was a little less than fun. After having spent the whole night in the london Luton airport with very little sleep, food or money I flew into Malaga, Spain at noon. Up to this point my credit cards had not been working and I had about 2 Euros on me (as well as 2 pounds and 12 dollars, but those did me no good because they didn´t reach the minimum to exchange for euroes). I thought that one of my cards would start working that day but thanks to good ol´visa and mastercard I was way off. I spent 6 hours in the Spanish heat (similar to KS) trying to get ahold of anyone, you guys, my study abroad people, credit card people, whoever, because I had to get a train or bus ticket to get to Ronda, which was about 2 hours away. However, due to my lack of money and the malfunctioning payphones (or maybe my inability to use them) I couldn´t do a thing. Also, don´t forget to add in my incredibly poor spanish and the complete lack of any english speakers except for a group of latter-day saints and the wonderful lady at the help desk.
Finally, by using the bus-station´s phone, I managed to get ahold of my host mom, who doesn´t speak any english. I handed the phone over to the help-desk lady and she talked to my host mom and they finally got things worked out and within a few minutes I finally got on my bus to Ronda where everything was eventually worked out. However, between having hardly any sleep for the last two days, being starving and dehydrated and totally overwhelmed with everything, the first thing I did when I got on that bus was burst into tears! There is quite a bit more to this sad story although I have no time to type it now, so ask me about it sometime because it´s quite entertaining!
No worries though everything is perfecto now (after some very long and tiring phone calls with my credit card companies). Ronda is absolutely beautiful and I am having a blast! Love you all!
Good job on all the new buys (aka J´s laptop and Katie´s printer). I hope everything is going good everywher! LOve you all.
Willow

1 comment:

Katie Flindall said...

Willow!!! I'm so glad you made it and you're ok! Man - that sucked though! Reminds me of my first experience in Paris. It's so hard to be in a different land sometimes! That's so great you made it! Sandy and I are up here in the C.A. land - I'm just about to head off to a long day at the art show booth - whew - and Sandy will probably have a long tiring day playing vedio games and hanging by the pool! Such is life! :) Anyway, have a great time Willow - can't wait to hear more! Oh - ps - did you hear that Sandy and I rear-ended another car in the middle of nowhere in NY as we were driving up to Canada? We weren't hurt - but the car was -sucky! It's still in NY and now my art show is just going toward annoying car fixing! Arrrr!!!!!!! Anne had to drive 4 hours to come pick us up! But! We did have an interesting time in Fort Covington, NY - pretty much akin to Little River - nothing much there! Played tick-tack-toe with grass - awesome time! Love you soooo much Willow - have the time of your life over there! Write soon! - Katie