Sunday, June 11, 2006

Prairie Notes



Two weeks ago I was out in the big hayfield. I was amazed with the flowers that I found. So, this Sunday I went out to take photos. But, alas, they are gone! Only the Butterfly Milkweed remained, although I do love this flower. The one I am most sad that I missed was Sensitive Catsclaw Briar. I love that beautiful pink flower. Well, maybe next year. I'll have to remember that it blooms and goes before the hot weather hits. And the last three days have been 100 degrees.
Also note the Buffalo wallow. They are about 20 by 10 feet and 1 to 2 feet deep. They are easy to spot as even today, almost nothing will grow there. This is a result of strong compacting. And also standing water and alkali conditions. We have 3 or 4 of them. Cool! I get great pleasure in picturing, 200 yrs ago, immense herds of Buffalo grazing these fields and wallowing in the mud to control the flies, or perhaps just to cool down.

No comments: